The doorbell: Then and now
The ring of a doorbell. For previous generations, this was a welcome sound, notifying homeowners that someone had come to call. Unexpected guests were welcomed with a smile, and often invited in for food, refreshments or just to visit.
Today, it’s a different story. The doorbell is an interruption, and an unexpected ring can send homeowners scattering. “Shhhh…hide! We don’t want them to know we’re home.” I’m sure each of us has done this at some point in our adult lives.
However, it doesn’t have to be this way. Doorbells are now being made for the way we live, and the Skybell video doorbell is a prime example.
The Skybell video doorbell saves Halloween
Every Halloween, my wife and I juggle taking our three kids out trick-or-treating and handing out candy to all the neighborhood kids. Inevitably, we head out with a large group of neighbors and leave a large bucket of candy on the porch with a note saying “Happy Halloween! Take two and please leave some for the rest.” There is some level of trust associated with this, and I’m sure in past years greedy trick-or-treaters have taken advantage and done a full bucket dump into their goody bags.
That may have happened in past years, but not in 2016. This past Halloween, I turned up the motion detection on my SkyBell video doorbell to high, all right through the Honeywell Total Connect app. I even turned the LED color to Orange; why not keep with the holiday, right?
The family and I ventured out with our neighborhood crew. As we began canvasing, my SkyBell immediately began sending events. I saw Captain America at least seven times, and more princesses than there are in England.
As expected, about two hours into our adventure, I received another event. Curious as to which Avenger character was now visiting my home, I opened my Honeywell Total Connect account to find several teenagers gathered on my porch. And yes, they were scooping handfuls of candy.
I immediately started a voice session and asked “Are any of you planning on leaving some for the little kids?” I wish I could have captured the looks on their faces…surprised, startled, frightened, all of the above. I then said “how about everyone put some back and we all use this as a good learning experience?” One of the three apologized, and they seemed appreciative at how I handled the situation. My parting words were “Happy Halloween and we’ll see you next year.”
The many faces of Skybell video doorbell users
This is just one unique way SkyBell can be integrated into a homeowner’s life. Want some more creative ways to qualify customers for a video doorbell camera solution? Here are some quick tips for identifying potential users.
- New Mom or Dad: Has the baby ever been sleeping and your doorbell rang and woke them? Wish you could turn the sound off temporarily and still know if someone was at the door? SkyBell and Honeywell Total Connect are for you.
- Shopaholic: Have the executives for online shopping site friended you on social media because of your buying habits? Are you constantly looking outside for that next package, or worse… wondering all day at work if it arrived? SkyBell and Honeywell Total Connect are for you.
- World Traveler: Do you travel frequently for pleasure or work? Do you wonder if anyone has stopped by your home while you’re away? SkyBell and Honeywell Total Connect are for you.
- Lazy Bones: Never want to get up from that comfy easy chair to answer the door? Now you can shoo solicitors without ever leaving that chair. SkyBell and Honeywell Total Connect are for you.
- Movie Buff: Don’t want to press pause on your movie night unless it’s the pizza delivery guy at the door? SkyBell and Honeywell Total Connect are for you.
Skybell and Honeywell Total Connect
Honeywell Total Connect users can enjoy convenient, single-app functionality right within the Honeywell Total Connect iOS app for full SkyBell compatibility. Users can speak to visitors at the door directly through the Honeywell Total Connect iOS app without the need to download the SkyBell HD app. Plus, they can arm/disarm, lock/unlock all from one screen, and they can also access all SkyBell activity in the events log.
The SkyBell video doorbell now also comes in a new, rectangular model. Sometimes, the doorbell mounting area is positioned very closely to the molding around the door, making it difficult to install the original round version. This new smaller, more compact version, the SkyBell DBCAM-TRIM, offers an option to homes with slimmer door frames. It can be installed on any home that has existing doorbell wiring and is available in silver (DBCAM-TRIM) and bronze (DBCAM-TRIMBR).